If you enjoy reading this blog, you can subscribe by entering your email address above. By doing this, you will receive an email notification when I write a new post.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sunday School Stories (gone awry) #1

I was designated the Sunday School teacher for the 6-8 year-old class over the winter. To make the class more interesting and to help the children remember the Bible story better, I would first read the story and then have the kids act it out.

Anyways...

The story of the day was: "The Parable of the Three Servants" (read Matthew 25:14-46).

After the story was read, I assigned each child a "position" or a role that they would have to play.
I had one child as the first servant, one as the second servant, one as the third servant, and one as the master
...our play was going well, (I even had the third servant go outdoors and bury his talent/coin in the church flower beds).

We finally got to the part of the story that goes like this: "His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed...and cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

We had discussed earlier in the lesson that the place with "weeping and gnashing of teeth" is Hell, and is a place that no one would want to go.

...anyways... The young girl that I had playing the role of the master goes up to the young boy who was playing the third servant.

Master: "Hello, I am back from my journey, I have come to see if you handled my money well/wisely while I was away."
Third Servant: "Oh, I was scared and I buried your money so that no one could find it"
Master: "Well, then, you can go to Hell!"
Me: !!!!!!!!! "That is actually not what he said (insert some rambling explanation here) ...and we should not say that to each other EVER!!!...

...so kids, what did we learn today?"


1 comment:

  1. lol! I remember acting this out in my Sunday school class a long time ago(:

    ReplyDelete